Friday, May 28, 2010

28 de mayo 2010 - First day in Mexico - First Impressions

WOW!!!! Mexico is amazing! I can't believe I am actually here!!

I spent all night last night packing and just restless as to what to expect. I didn't think that I would ever be so nervous about going to another country. It had always been a desire and something that I thought I could do with relative ease. Boy was I greatly misleading myself!

The flights from Tampa to Atlanta and Atlanta to Mexico City were relatively short and went by very quick. When over the Gulf of Mexico I looked for the oil in the water, but it was quite cloudy and the visibility that high was not very good. The landing in Mexico City was interesting, the city is very densely populated and very poverty stricken. It appears, in some areas, that huts are built upon buildings and huts are built upon those huts. The city is incredibly smoggy; pollution is definitely a problem. I thought a dust storm had come throguh the city.
I arrived ahead of the rest of the group so I had a couple hours to kill in the airport. The first thing I noticed was the presence of federal police they were everywhere! I exchanged out some of my cash as American money doesn't work here. The exchange rate at the time was about $1 American to $12.78 Mexican peso.

The group waited for some time for the taxis to arrive. We learned that Paul McCartney was playing in town tonight and that was the reason for a lot of the traffic and delay. After about 45 minutes, we left for Casa Gonzalez, our home for the next few days in Mexico City. The driver was commanding a Suburban like it was a Mini Cooper through the dense traffic. The lanes on the highway would take up the room of two lanes in America. I could have handed something to the cars that were in the next lane. The taxi ride was about an hour and we still hadn't left the city limits of Mexico City. Apparently, it is one of the largest cities, in terms of area, in the world.
We arrived at Casa Gonzalez and checked in and then settled into the room. Within a half an hour we were off to a small restaurant, called Tacos el Caminero, that served....tacos.

Tacos el Camineros

It was a great meal, it only cost $93 pesos (about $7.25) for six tacos and a beer... They had wonderfully spicy salsa and guacamole. After that we retired back to our rooms and decided to start this blog. Hopefully, I can continue to contribute...we'll see! I will post pictures as I get them uploaded... Until next time... hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment