Friday, June 11, 2010

11 de junio 2010 - Guanajuato Day #10 - World Cup / Symphonia de Guanajuato


The World Cup begins today!  Mexico is playing South Africa and the children at LGO are ready!

The kids doing their exercises wearing green to support Mexico soccer

After teaching for an hour in Maestro Dany’s class, the children became quite anxious.  Almost immediately after I finished, the children rushed over to the TV to watch the Mexico game.  There is something to be said about the nationalism within Mexico.  They are so proud of their team that they stop school to support their team.
When we arrived at school the children were all either wearing green or wearing Mexico jerseys.  I wasn’t sure if we were allowed to wear our jerseys so I did not wear the Mexico jersey I bought.  But after teaching in Maestro Dany’s class I entered my class and was greeted well.  I asked the class to wait one moment as I took my Mexico jersey out of my bag.  When I unfurled it in front of them, they started cheering.  I asked them if it was okay and they shouted, “YES!”  So I put on the jersey and they cheered.  I took my seat next to some students to watch the game which was a blast!  They had brought snacks and I got to try these puff-style wheel crisps that you put salsa picante.

It quite apparent that everyone in the school was watching because with the cheering and noise level we might well have been in the stadium watching the World Cup.  This was definitely the case when Mexico scored a goal in the game.

We left the school and headed to Champs Sports Bar to watch the rest of the game with our Spanish teacher, Memo.  Right as we got there the game finished up and our Spanish class decided to conduct class at the bar, so we played some vocabulary games with our teacher.  I have to tell you that, here, the world stops for soccer.

Later on we all met at Teatro Principal for Orchetra Symphonia de Universidad de Guanajuato (OSUG), there were about 12 of us who all got dressed up for the occasion.  I couldn't believe it, it was only 40 pesos for the concert ($3.20 American)!  The symphony performed selections from Mozart, Hayden, and Brahms.  They were absolutely wonderful and had this amazing visiting conductor who had to have been like 85 years old.  Anyways, it was kinda cool one of the cellists is Mike the proprietor of Zilch, our favorite hangout, the place I have been raving about the awesome live music.  Then we noticed that the French horn player was the wife of a musician that my friend Angela and I had seen play the previous weekend.  It is very cool how populous Guanajuato is (~200,000 ppl), yet you run into everyone like it is a small town.

Exterior of Teatro Principal

After that we got something to eat and finished the night at Zilch and a salsa bar called El Bar.  I am really enjoying spending time with the people I have met on this trip.  GOOD TIMES WITH GOOD PEOPLE!

By the way Mexico tied South Africa...
div>

No comments:

Post a Comment