Sunday, June 6, 2010

5 y 6 de junio 2010 - First Guanajuato weekend

We woke up on Saturday morning to go to Escuela Mexicana which is where we are going to take our extracurricular classes like Spanish, cooking, and salsa dancing. I will not be doing the last one! This place is also where we will be taking our U of A classes, which is the reason we are here in the first place.

The transition to Mexico has been interesting. The water finally got to me...I have been sick all weekend. I guess it is just expected. Many others in my group have also gotten sick, so I don't feel like I am the only one suffering. The altitude is still affecting me. I am so tired still and feel always out of breath. It may just be the pollution mixed with the insane amount of hills. The altitude from Casa Caballeros, where I am staying, to El Jardin is a difference of 300-400 feet (that is like 3 or 4 blue whales according to mi amiga, Angela).

On Saturday night we went to a few different bars looking for a place to dance. A couple places were quite packed but the dancers there were very good. Typically bars will hire professional dancers to come out and dance with patrons. They make it look very easy. After some bar hopping we decided to go to Zilch again. I have to say the bands they have there are absolutely awesome! This particular band was a latin fusion jazz band. I can't tell you how great they were!

I have been speaking a lot of Spanish, granted it is absolutely horrible in grammar and most of the time I forget what I said two seconds prior. I would say 80 percent of the Spanish I am speaking now I have learned since arriving in Mexico one week ago.

On Sunday, I slept in for the first time and lounged around the house. I got some emails done, read a little, watched a movie and then took a siesta just in time to leave the house to catch the Lakers-Celtics game downtown. It was quite an experience trying to watch a game in English with the audio dubbed over with Spanish, so it just sounded quite mumbled the whole game. Anyways, after a long day it was nice to turn in early and be ready for work tomorrow. I start working at Luis Gonzales Obregon and taking class at Escuela Mexicana.

Sorry no pictures this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment