Tuesday, June 8, 2010

8 de junio 2010 - Guanajuato Day #7 - First day teaching English

When the chidlren got to school today they participated in morning excises. You have not lived until you see about 400 children all doing movement and dancing to music. They have one of the best PE teachers I have ever seen. She is ready to go every morning with music and once the children get their backpacks to the classroom they come down and participate. This goes on for about 20 minutes. It is so nice to know that the children's physical health is still considered a part of their school day. Most children have one hour of PE after this as well. I was quite upset, I had brought my camera, but not my card so I don't have any pictures. I will take some tomorrow.

Once we got to the classroom we were out the door and off to PE. The children got an opportunity to play volleyball, they even invited me to join in. I had so much fun as they were cheering for me and yelling "Vamanos seƱor Chris!" I have to say that the children sincerely looked happy at school.

So I have to say that I was very excited at the notion of teaching English. Unfortunately there was a conflict in my schedule and I wasn't going to be able to teach at the time that she normally teaches her class English. I made a point to speak with her to let her know the situation. She was so happy to accommodate and quickly suggested a solution by letting me teach at 10-11a. I was so happy that Maestra Carmelita was willing to be flexible with her schedule to accommodate me. Being an itinerant teacher in America, the notion that a teacher would be flexible with me was not even a possibility. Maestra Carmelita has been so wonderful and helpful.

So after about 45 minutes it was finally 10am. Time to teach English for the first time in a foreign country in front of 40 children who speak Spanish. "Just jump in!" was what I told myself. No day but today!!!! I introduced myself to the class and explained that my Spanish is very limited and I assume that their English is very limited...so we can help each other, right? They agreed and we proceeded. I gave each child the opportunity to introduce themselves to me in English, they did such a good job!! We then did an activity on the Smart Board on the geography vocabulary that they are learning which included the words: river and jungle, which came out as: "rriber" and "yoonglay". They worked so hard at it and did a wonderful job. They were such a great and respectful class, a credit to Maestra Carmelita! I can't wait to teach again!!

My friend Michelle and I walked down to Escuela Mexicana for Spanish class and stopped for coffee at Cafe Tal...they roast their own coffee! It is so good!! and it is only 8 pesos (64 cents!!!!!!!!). Circle K coffee isn't even that cheap! Spanish class went well, just a lot of conjugation of irregular verbs...what a challenge!

After La Comida we ventured back to Escuela Mexicana for U of A class. We listened to a lecture by Jackie Mackenzie. She dicussed her studies of Mexico and the indigenous people of the country and the challenges that they face. One of the most striking comments she made was that the poorest of poor will sell goat milk just to buy Coca-Cola to put into their child's bottle because people who drink Coca-Cola are seen as a status symbol and it makes them feel important. Another story that struck me pretty hard was that of a person who urged another to not give the indigenous people the good clothing with the tags still on them. This infuriated this person and she said that you must give these people the best because they will wear it with pride because they will take care of it and will pass it down to their family. When they wear it they will leave the tags on it to be proud that no one before them had worn it...only them! Things like that really show you the state of the poor in Mexico.


Dr. Jaqueline Mackenzie lecturing

After class we walked upstairs to Salsa dancing class...This was my first experience dancing salsa. As if walking 6+ miles everyday and tackling "EL hill" wasn't enough. I sure got a workout and boy was it fun! There are about 11 of us taking the class. It started with the basics but transitioned into some pretty difficult steps. If you haven't heard salsa music, it is quite fast, so if you don't have the steps down...GOOD LUCK!

3 comments:

  1. You better be ready to take me salsa dancing when you get back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes.. SALSA is fun.. but very complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah...i am pretty sure i'll suck at it :D

    ReplyDelete