Wednesday, June 9, 2010

9 de junio - Guanajuato Day #8 - Second day teaching English at LGO

So I am absolutely loving teaching English! We arrived at LGO for the morning exercises. I finally got some pictures. I can express how nice it is to see the kids getting the physical exercise that they need at school. There is definitely more emphasis on physical health for the children. They seem more attentive and alert in the classroom after the 20 or so minutes of exercise.

The children at LGO doing their morning exercises.

When they were done one of the teachers, Alejandra, approached Michelle and I about teaching in another classroom, we immediately accepted. The teacher warned us that the classroom was a little tough. When we arrived the teacher Maestro Dany was very welcoming and let us do our thing. The class was a little more distracted and crazier than the others, but they were not misbehaved by any means. They had a good time learning and we had a great time teaching. They seemed quite disappointed when the lesson was over, but they were happy to hear that we would be back. I think I really am enjoying this teaching English thing.

We finished at LGO and headed to Escuela Mexicana for Spanish class. It is getting better, I am definitely happy that I took Spanish as it is really helping to hone my speaking skills from what I have learned just through conversation. I am really not liking conjugation of verbs though.

Waiting for class outside Escuela Mexicana

Later on that afternoon we had class for our Cultural and Linguistic Diversity class. We engaged in a simulation which separated the class into different "classes". Each "class", red, green and blue group, were all treated differently by the instructors and when the simulation was over we discussed how we felt about the simulation. I happened to be in the green group which was the worst treated group. It really made me upset, even though I knew it was an activity, to be treated with such disrespect. Things like that can really open your eyes to how we treat others.

During the simulation, our view of the red (privileged) group

After class we headed upstairs in Escuela Mexicana for salsa class.  It is getting fun, but it certainly makes a tiring end to a long day.  We dance for an hour and Armando works us pretty good.  Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are the longest days of the week for us, we are literally going from 6am until 11pm.  Looking forward to the weekend!

Paty and Juliana doing some salsa dancing before salsa class

No comments:

Post a Comment