Saturday, June 12, 2010

12 de junio 2010 - Guanajuato Day #11 - Diego Rivera house in Guanajuato / US Soccer / Scorpion in the house

This morning I got to sleep in, it was much needed!

After getting ready we hustled to meet some others at Plaza de la Paz and headed to the Diego Rivera house.  This house, not too far from downtown Guanajuato, is the childhood home of Mexico's beloved painter.  If you have read my other blogs from Mexico City, Rivera was the painter who was married to Frida Kahlo and painted all of the murals in the National Palace and Secretary of Education buildings.


Exterior of the Diego Rivera house

The bottom floor is the only level that I have pictures from as they would not allow pictures taken of his paintings.  The first level just had some furniture and original items from the house.  As we ventured up the house became a large collection of Rivera's paintings and artwork.  I have to say he was quite a versatile artist.  His paintings spanned such a wide variety of styles.  I am definitely a fan!!  I so wish I could share what we saw.  You could literally get right up and put your nose to the canvas and see his brush strokes.  What a great way to spend a Saturday morning!

I wanted to take pictures of some of his paintings, we couldn't, so here is his table...

After the visit to Rivera's house we headed to Champs again to catch the US-England soccer match. It was really a good game and the US got lucky with its goal, it just so happens that the goalie for England can't hold onto the ball. I guess a tie is better than a loss, it was a good game nevertheless.

Saturday night was just a restful night, for once, we didn't go out but just stayed in and watched movies. The silence of the tranquility was broken when Marta came in and informed us that there was a scorpion in the drawer in her room. I rushed to my room to get my camera and then assist because I have been dying to see one of these things alive. I had never seen one in the wild. When I got to the room apparently the thing had disappeared so I had to remove articles in the drawer to find him. I finally found him in a table cloth in the drawer. Boy was he fast!! I didn't know they could run so fast!! Anyways, here is a picture of the little bugger...

EscorpiĆ³n

Tomorrow is going to be a big day, we are heading to San Miguel and to Dolores Hidalgo as well as the hot springs at La Gruta.

No comments:

Post a Comment