Thursday, June 24, 2010

24 de junio 2010 - La Comida

Since coming to Guanajuato I have not mentioned much about my meals here. Our house mother, Dona Emma, is a world class chef and runs her kitchen like a well oiled machine. She spent two years at Cordon Bleu school in Paris. She and her husband own three bakeries (panerias) in Gto. called Paneria Internacional and their son, Juan Andreas, is in cooking school.  So the family is very versed in the culinary arts.  Anyways, we have La Comida everyday at around 3pm and it is the cornerstone meal of the day, every meal pales in comparison to it. When Senora Caballero cooks it, it is always a work of art, her presentation is second to none! Having come from the US, I am so used to Tex-Mex food so authentic Mexican food is a completely new experience. I wish I could bring her back to the States with me.
Here in Central Mexico and also in South Mexico most tortillas are corn and not flour. Flour tortillas are more a northern Mexico thing. I had never had a corn tortilla until I came to Mexico and I kinda like them!  Most of the meals start with a soup, most of them have been tomato based, and are served with lime.  If you have never tried tomato based soup with lime, you need to!
When you have tacos or enchiladas, there is no sour cream or "Mexican blend" of cheese.  They are garnished with a queso fresca and a real mild cream and served with red and green salsas which are very watery, not chunky.
Here are some of the examples of her cooking:

Chicken with mole sauce, rice and quesadillas with guacamole...

Chile rellenos with rice and beans...

Beef tenderloin with wild rice and potatoes...
Sopes con pollo y flautas con pollo...


No comments:

Post a Comment